Sunday, February 4, 2018

Equestrian Surcingle Belt

I follow a horse blog called DIY Horse Ownership.  It's pretty much in line with my thoughts on horse ownership, and I do love to DIY something if it means it'll be cheaper. I also feel like I own the end result more, take pride in it.

In December, they posted a link on how to make your own Surcingle Belt! Now their thought process was mostly driven by cost. Mine is driven by 'what is available in my size'? Belts for riding are NOT one of them. To that end, this DIY project was right up my alley.

I finally made a trip to Joann Fabrics (before I got sick on Saturday, it really came out of nowhere) and got some supplies. Because really, this looks like an amazing project and if I can sell some... well, that's even better! I could even market to the plus size rider group. 

Tonight I finally felt well enough and had kid free time to sit down and make one.  When I got the cotton belting, one of the pieces was less than a yard. Not great for an adult size belt, but perfect for Kaylee. I also found some clearance ribbon with Frozen characters which Kaylee immediately took a liking toward. So my first attempt won't be for sale, but will be for Kaylee!

While I do a basic DIY, I recommend heading to the blog link above. Their instructions are fantastic.

My short piece of belting and the clearance ribbon.

First, measure out your ribbon so it's 6 in longer than your belting. Pin the ribbon to the belting.

Sew the ribbon to the belting

Attach all the buckles and badaboom, you're done! (LOL, told you to go to the other blog)

I think Kaylee will be thrilled.  

This belt has a waist size range of 20-32 in so perfect for kids and highly adjustable. Total cost, not including thread, needles and pins is $11.14. It took me less than an hour to make, my very first time. I consider myself an advanced beginner sewer, fwiw.

No comments:

Post a Comment